EDGEWOOD FLYERS 2011 UPDATE
For this year’s Earth Day, the Edgewood Flyers sponsored multiple projects along with the community. On various days leading up to Earth Day 2011 the Edgewood Flyers sponsored:
• Cutting of invasive species - Autumn Olive
• Data collecting and count of favorable vegetation
• Field Clean Up Day
• Trail Clean Up with Brentwood High School
• Commack Road Cleanup North and South of Main Entrance to Preserve
• Brentwood High School - Environmental Studies Class - Lecture at Edgewood
• Edgewood Preserve Cleanup Days throughout the year TBA
• Community Event July 23; 10am - 5pm
• Data Collection TBA
Please visit us at www.edgewoodflyers.com for photos and more information on the Earth Day events sponsored by the Edgewood Flyers. Join us in the future at the Edgewood Preserve and participate with us in our efforts to provide a wholesome, family-oriented and community-based activity on Long Island.
· Cutting of invasive species - Autumn Olive
With the help of the NYSDEC, the Edgewood Flyers were the first group to initiate the largest undertaking at the Edgewood Oak Brush Plains Preserve for removal of Autumn Olive to restore the grasslands. As per the NYSDEC’s Unit Management Plan, the Edgewood Flyers will be restoring most of the grasslands at the Edgewood Preserve. Data taken from the DEC’s test area was applied. The Edgewood Flyers continued with the removal of an invasive species know as the Autumn Olive.
· Data collecting and count of favorable vegetation
The NYSDEC has provided the expertise to help the Edgewood Flyers achieve a favorable outcome. Continuous data monitoring and cutting will need to occur on an annual basis. The grasses will be breathing better and getting the needed sunlight for continued growth. We have been collecting data, counting vegetation and will monitor growth of the grasses over the course of the summer along side with experts from the DEC.
· Field Clean Up
We conducted a field garbage cleanup of the perimeter were the hospital once stood. Pipes and debris from the former hospital were removed from the area. The wood chips from the cleanup efforts were spread in the designated area.
· Trail Clean Up with Brentwood High School
The Edgewood Flyers sponsored a trail cleanup with Brentwood High School. Thirty-Forty volunteers participated in the cleanup efforts. The students were given gloves and various other materials to help rid of old tires, large debris and garbage.
· Commack Road Cleanup North and South of the Main Entrance
The Edgewood Flyers sponsored cleanup efforts along Commack Road. A volunteer group cleaned up the parking lot as well as north and south of the main entrance of the preserve.
· Brentwood High School - Environmental Studies Class - Lecture at Edgewood
One member of the Edgewood Flyers is an environmental studies teacher. We invited the Brentwood High School students taking Environmental Studies to participate in a lecture and guided tour of the Edgewood Preserve.